Friday, April 11, 2008

Soloing Mother Smolderweb

A while back I stumbled across Dianius's guide to Soloing Mother Smolderweb. I've been wanting to try this for a couple of reasons. I enjoy solo challenges and one of these days I'd like to get the complete Wildheart set. The wildheart boots can only be gotten from that big spider.
I finally got to attempt this, and like others before me, found the guide to be invaluable.

Only one thing has been changed since the guide was written. When you stealth past the orcs, the last group you come to, just before you head up the ramp to the spiders, have been moved around.

To stealth past the orcs stay to the left and pass through just to the right of the sleeping orc, and to the left of the one standing up. See that candle and the mushrooms on the left? You will go right over the top of the largest mushroom while sneaking between the two orcs. This is the trickiest part and I recommend following Dianius's stealth techniques while doing this.
Once I reached Mother Smolderweb I found the fight went exactly as planned, with a couple of advantages I discovered.

Being level 61 made the stealth part very easy and gave me a little more power in the battle. But the big advantage is the fact that I am a Moonkin. Balance has a huge advantage here. I was getting regular crits of 1500+ which is almost 3 times what Dianius was getting. This has a little to do with my level, but a lot to do with being a Boomkin.

Secondly, at the end of the battle Dianius describes it as a suicide mission. This is true unless you have the Treants. These guys are great for handling extra mob pulls and they help you defeat the four spawned spiders rather easily.
A word of warning. I thought it might be a good idea to wear Mother Smolderweb down a bit with the Treants. So in my first attempt I sent them after her at the beginning of the fight. All was going well until they pulled the roamers. Oops. That was a quick death. I recommend just hanging on to the trees until the end.

I had a lot of fun with this and I highly recommend it if you like solo challenges. I should mention I got the Wildheart Boots* on the second attempt so I was very lucky.Cya,

Forest Cat

* No need to tell me the Wildheart Boots are already way below my level. I still want the set because of the look.

No comments: